Logo and Status Update

I have been working on some logo art over the week, when I haven't been debugging/tweaking the code. I think we have a finalized company name and logo for that as well but I am not gonna post it yet.

I think this is going to be game logo, or something close to it. 

Rotational momentum is all working now. We have been running various test geometry to verify that it is all working correctly. I am working on setting up multi-segmented ships, which will add some more complexity to the physics but it I should be able to adapt it iteratively based off of Eddie's initial code. I also have to do some sorting/prioritizing functionality for the ship segments, but I think I have an algorithm from an old completely unrelated project that I can incorporate after I find it.

Eddie has been working a background for box art and the website. Probably some sort of circuit board design. He also bought an iPad 2 and has been playing with a very slick music app for it, that he might use to create some music for spaceboxer.


Progress Report

Just thought I should get a post in while I have a little free time. "Responsibilities", "social life", and my videogame addiction (halfway through Dead Space 2 at the moment, and trying to avoid playing Left 4 Dead 2 and StarCraft 2) are taking up most of my time. However, I expect a good chunk of time will be available this weekend.

Eddie is still busy on rotational physics. They are quite mathematically complex when you want to do them right (damnable conservation of angular momentum). I am working on the spaceship component system. It is also getting fairly complicated because of the highly dynamic nature of the game.

Right now we have a 29,000 polygon test spaceship being rendered at a whopping 2,000 fps (on my PC, haven't tested the perf on the xbox yet but I expect its a bit slower). It is not a very realistic or indicative of the final game because ships will have more polygons and I am putting off working on lighting, shadows, pixel shader effects and general graphical polish until we start the play-testing phase. So the final framerate will be much more reasonable, but my priority is 60fps in the final product.

We also have the ship being 'damaged' but with the new stuff I am doing in the component system I think I may need to rewrite some of the code. We expect memory to be the primary constraint on the xbox so my original approach needs some tweaking since the best way I can come up with to do the ship components with the least memory pretty much constrains the rest of the system. I am guessing that the memory constraint will probably drive the maximum number of players. The goal is 6-8 right now, but that may change once we get to play-testing. I doubt we can do more than that since we will probably be sending more data over the network than a typical online multiplayer game.

Also, I should note that we probably will not be posting many screenshots until we are close to release because we don't want to be copied by anyone. We certainly wouldn't want a lower quality clone of our idea beating us to release, which seems to be a pretty rampant problem with indie games right now.


Inaugural Post

Welcome to the Spaceboxer development blog.

Our independent game studio is developing a space shooter for the Xbox 360 and PC game consoles. We'll provide more development details as we approach our release date so stay tuned for more screenshots, videos, and game-play details.

Two days ago we settled on a name for our new game project and Struan bought Spaceboxer.com. He setup the blog, but it took a couple of days for me to get around to posting. Last night we ran our code for the first time on the Xbox and the results were good. Struan will be tweaking the engine to run on both PC and Xbox and I am continuing work on the game physics. More details soon!